Self-esteem is about how we value ourselves, our perceptions and beliefs in who we are and what we are capable of. (Source)
It’s extremely vital to have a sense of self-worth and confidence. It helps us in facing life each day, and it adds to our ultimate happiness.
Here are 3 simple ways to improve your self-esteem:
1. Remember that you are one of a kind.
There is no one else on earth like you. Even Quora states “Human traits are a hybrid of genetics, set of skills developed in life and conditions in which he or she was brought up. To have the exact same combination of these things in the exact amount is highly improbable and hence every individual is unique.”
There’s no point in comparing yourself to others. Never feel inferior because you don’t have so and so’s hair, body type, or lifestyle. You can always work on self-development, but always appreciate yourself for who you are.
- Stand in front of a mirror and smile.
- Look for your favorite body/facial features.
- Think and say “I am beautiful.” or “I am handsome.”
- Dance like no one is watching.
- Write down 5 things you love about yourself.
2. Be your own closest friend.
One of your worst enemies is your inner critic. It’s that voice in your head that’s always finding your faults and flaws, putting it up on a magnifying glass.
“You can’t do it.”
“You’re not good enough.”
“You look terrible.”
Go easy on yourself, and turn off that internal dialogue. When you know your value and what you can do, you are more likely to strive for better things in life. You will also have more positive energy to share with others in the process.
- Have a nice “Treat yourself” day.
- Try out new things or hobbies.
- Compliment yourself for a job well done.
- Take pride in your own creations and ideas.
- Reflect on your strengths and achievements.
3. Always look your best.
Professor Karen Pine, who studied human development and non-verbal communication, claims that clothing affects our thoughts and emotions.
If this was the case, we should always wear clothes that will make us feel good about ourselves. I’ve noticed that most successful people I know always look presentable. Coincidence? Probably not.
However, it’s not just about fashion and picking out the right outfit. It also means being well groomed, observing proper hygiene, and keeping a healthy lifestyle.
- Get enough sleep and exercise.
- Drink more water and eat healthy food.
- Take a shower everyday.
- Wear comfortable clothes.
- Choose your personal style.
I hope these tips will be useful to you. Remember, you are a wonderful being created by the same God who created the stars, galaxies, and all wonders of the universe. How amazing is that?
Stand out and shine!